Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Introduction

I am starting this blog because with all the stuff available on the internet, I was unable to find any information on the harmony parts of the Everly Brothers. I thought surely someone has already transcribed the beautiful two-part harmony parts of at least their hits - but no. So, I'm going to give it a shot.

I've been playing music most of my life, but only reason started delving into singing. I love the sound of two voices blending together as well as the Everlys did and have been working lately on covering some of their songs.

My plan is to transcribe Don's and Phil's individual parts. I'm hoping to do about a song a week, although the first few may take longer as I'm still training my ear to pick up the individual parts. They blend so well that it's not always easy to do. There are a few more experienced musicians in town that cover many of these tunes, so I hope they might be able to offer some help if I get stuck.

Also looking for feedback from anyone else that happens to come across this. If you find any errors in my transcriptions, please let me know.

I hope this proves to be a useful resource for anyone trying to play these great tunes.

1 comment:

  1. Hi - I'm so grateful for this. Knowing that the Everlys sang in thirds, I wanted to find out whether this was tonal, generating a mixture of major and minor thirds, or 'Real' (in fugue terminology), where the thirds would always be major or always minor, requiring accidentals. My ear isn't good enough to tell by listening and, like you, I couldn't find online any sheet music that showed both parts. What your score shows is a tonal relationship of thirds with no accidentals and a few fourths and fifths thrown in. It would be interesting to know whether Boudleaux Bryant designed the melodies to make use of the major/minor thirds at different positions, to bring out the feeling, or whether he just wrote the first melody part and let the other follow. John Chisholm

    ReplyDelete